Melnik is the smallest town in Bulgaria (230 inhabitants) is well known for its tempting and delicious red wine traditional production. It is a known fact that Roman Emperors ordered wine from this village in early times and this tradition is still living till today.
- Wine Tasting & Touring the town of Melnik and view earth pyramids.
- Followed by a visit to Rozhen monastery the oldest Monastery in Bulgaria.
- Including : guide, transport and wine testing.
- Visiting Rupite (the temple of Vanga)
- Melnik with wine testing
- Rozhen Monastery
- Including: guide, transport and wine testing
Περιορισμένη διαθεσιμότητα θέσεων
Για όλες τις εκδρομές απαιτείται κράτηση τουλάχιστον μία ημέρα νωρίτερα
Σας συμβουλεύουμε να κάνετε κράτηση έγκαιρα για να αποφύγετε την απογοήτευση
διαθέσιμο όλο το χρόνο
Για περισσότερες πληροφορίες και κρατήσεις επικοινωνήστε μαζί μας στο +359 747 98 111
History of Melnik
Melnik is an old town of eventful past. It`s beginning has been tracked back to the time of the Thracians, after which it had been inhabited by Romans Byzantines and Bulgarians.The town`s name has been associated with the earth pyramids surrounding it, as a derivative of mel (chalk). The settlement has been within the boundaries of the Bulgarian state since 9th century. A strong fortress hard to access and built against Byzantium in the early 13th century Melnik became the capital of independent Despot Aleksi Slav (a boyar of Melnik Region and a son TsarKaloyan`s sister). During the Middle Ages it was a rich center of high culture, keeping up contacts with Venice and Dubrovnik.The town’s people of Melnik enjoyed wealth and prosperity. They began to build big and beautiful houses, to set aside funds for the education of their children. The people of this region were alert and patriotic; they shared the ideas of Bulgarian culture and education, church independence and national liberation.A true museum town, Melnik has been declared an architectural reserve. Its scenic location, the unique Revival Period architecture of its houses, huddled close to the reddish sandstones, and the wine-cellar caves, excavated into the slopes, have long earned it the fame of one of the most attractive place to visit in Bulgaria.
History of Rozhen Monastery
The Rozhen monastery is the biggest sanctuary in the Pirin region and one of the few Bulgarians monasteries of the Middle Ages. According to evidence, the Monastery had been in existence in 9th–12th centuries. A lively literary centuries, it was famous for its 14th century calligraphic school.One of its exceptional artistic creations was the filigree piece“The Interpretation of Job”, decorated by 117 fretwork miniatures and regrettably, taken to Jerusalem in 1647. What is of interest in Rozhen Monastery is the main Church of the Nativity of Virgin Mary from 1600, renovated and decorated with mural paintings in 1732;the unique woodcarving of the iconostasis, made by master woodcarvers from Debur, the fiveoriginal stained glass pieces of 1715, the monastery ossuary from 1662 the living quarters with their exquisite bay windows and staircases as well as the belfry. Deserving special attention is the wonder-making icon of the Virgin Portaitissa (in the main church), painted in 1790 by Mon Jacob oIviron. Thousands of Christians from all over the country come ever year on Septebmer 7 to see the icon with prayers and gifts. Theyspend the night in the monastery to welcome September 8, the holy feast of the Nativity of the Holy Virgin Mary. Which is also the holiday of the church. Not far from the monastery is the Church of St St Cyril and Methodius. And the grave of Yane Sandanski. Inscribed on the tombstone are his words:“To live, means to fight: the slave for freedom, the free man for perfection”
Rupite is a village which includes a small mountainous protected area in the southeastern part Blagoevgrad Province,Bulgaria, 10-12 kilometres northeast of Petrich, on the right bank of the Struma River. It is best known as the place where the Bulgarian medium Baba Vanga lived and was buried.The area is in fact the crater of an extinct volcano, its appearance being shaped by the volcanic hill of Kozhuh, the thermal springs and Pchelina Hill. The village has 1,124 inhabitants.